Wednesday, September 8, 2010

ASIA.....Reunion Tour




Show Date 9-7-2010

I had to really hustle to obtain a photo pass for this performance. It took several weeks of communication with Asia's PR people. Just a couple of days prior to the show, I received my photo pass confirmation. I wasn't too sure what to expect. It was all of the original members. Did they still have the chops? Well, they did! Asia's performance was one of the best show's I'd seen in 2010. They were actually a close second to Rush.
I was very surprised to find out that I was the only photographer that was allowed to cover the show. It was really cool having the freedom to roam the venue and explore all the different shooting possibilities. Was really nice, not having any restrictions for a change.
I have been a fan of Steve Howe since the late 70’s when he was with Yes. I've never had a chance to see him perform live though, over all these years for some reason. I guess the timing was never right until now. I’ve also been a fan of Carl Palmer ever since his days with Emerson, Lake and Palmer.
The first half of the show was songs off their latest album Omega. Even though I wasn't familiar with the songs, they were well arranged and sounded like classic Asia. The second half of the show was dedicated to all of their hit songs from the 80's. The crowd rose to their feet and stayed that way for the remainder of the show. The song that caught my attention the most, “Day’s Like These”. I was not expecting to hear it performed and I was pleasantly surprised when I did. The band totally got into the grove and had everybody dancing, including the security personnel.
Asia rocked Portland this night. For those of you who thought about going and didn't, you missed out on a great performance! I hope when the members of Asia re-form, they remember how well Portland, OR welcomed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment