Sunday, September 5, 2010

Cinderella.....Headline Tour


Show Date 9-4-2010

I was fully expecting Cinderella to be the opening band this evening. It has been several years since the band had produced any new music and just as long for any live performances. So I was really surprised that they were headlining over Queensryche….WTF????

During the 80’s, I was listening to a totally different style of music, Progressive Rock. So I wasn’t really all that familiar with what Cinderella had to offer other then what I heard on MTV and the radio. I was willing to give them a fair shake though, especially after hearing on “That Metal Show” the band was actually really good and nothing like the bubble gum, rock songs (my own definition of that type of music) that was being played on the radio.
This was an outdoor show and September can be a goofy month for weather here in the NW. This year, the evenings were running on the cooler side of things.

Cinderella hit the stage strong and hard but, it was very obvious that there was a different sound engineer working the board. The sound wasn’t crisp and level as it was for Queensryche. In addition to the PA sound, Tom Keifer was experiencing some major technical difficulties with his guitar setup and stage mike. You could see the frustration in his face and he had his tech scrambling to fix the issue.

Even with the issue’s taking place, the band continued rocking it out hard. Fred Coury is a monster on the drum kit and I could actually feel the thump of his kick drum in my chest, as I was snapping my pix, WOW!
Jeff LaBar played to my camera nicely through the second song. His playing was very impressive. Unfortunately the PA sound hasn’t improved and Keifer’s rig was still giving him major grief.

By the time they started the third song, I have to honestly say, I wanted to finish up capturing my shot’s and make a bee line out of the venue.  The sound hadn’t improved at all, Keifer wasn’t looking none too happy up on stage and it was showing in the photos and, my overall impression of the performance was not good.
We all have days where things are just not hooking up. It happens sometimes. I’m sure on a different day in a different venue things were better. On this night sadly, it just wasn’t happening.
There is some amazing talent in this band. Hopefully in the future we really get to hear what they can offer.

Cinderella - Oregon Sate Fair - Salem, Oregon


No comments:

Post a Comment