Friday, August 13, 2010

Michael Schenker Group.....Attack Of The Mad Axeman


Show Date: 8-12-2010

I'm not a big fan of Dante's, the lighting isn't all that great for photo's and sometimes they tend to overdrive the PA. So, when I heard Michael Schenker was going to be performing there, I was a little disappointed. None the less, I contacted my friend Doug Doppler, who put me in touch with Wayne Findley (Michael's Guitar/keyboard player) and Wayne set me up with a photo pass for the show.
 
Dante's is a smaller venue in Portland and I was shocked to see when I arrived the line waiting to get inside. It stretched down the block and at one point, around the corner. With no photo pit in this venue, getting a pic was going to be next to impossible because of the crowd. As luck would have it though, I was able to over come my dilemma. There is two cat walks in the venue. So I spoke with the very beautiful and nice bartender, explained who I was and why I was there, and she gave me the green light to shoot from one of the cat walks. TOTALLY COOL!!!!

Michael and his band opened the show with Into the Arena. One of my most favorite instrumentals of the Hard Rock genre. The band continued on though the list of MSG tunes mainly focusing on the time frame when Gary Barden recorded with him (since he was singing on this tour). Highlight of the evening was getting to see the legendary Carmine Appice beat his drum's into submission. 
 
Because of the venue, this was not the best I had seen the band perform. Too many people for such a small venue, too small of stage and the PA, way too loud and overdriven. Hopefully the next time the band passes through Portland, there will be a better venue available.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment